As we observe World Cleanup Day today, we should be mindful that there will be more plastic and e-waste in the oceans and landfills by 2050 if nothing is done.
Littered plastic is clogging drains and causing overflows. And unmanaged plastic is polluting our precious oceans and waterways. The negative impacts that plastic is causing to the environment and human health is profoundly evident:
- Respiratory issues are increasing because of air pollution from burning plastic.
- Animal lifespans are shortened because of consuming plastic.
Ways To Reduce Plastic Pollution:
- Reduce the amount of plastic you produce at home.
- Say no to single-use plastic.
- Take action by cleaning up the oceans and gutters.
- Separate your plastic for recycling.
What is E-Waste?
It is the waste generated from disposing of used Electrical & Electronic Equipment (EEE) such as – Refrigerators, TVs, Mobile Phones And PCs.
Did you know, over 51 million tons of e-waste was generated worldwide in 2019, which is expected to increase to 74 million by 2027? But then, only 20% of this waste is collected and recycled. So where did the other 80% go? It ends up in our landfills.
E-waste contains heavy metals & toxic chemicals. Improper recycling causes air, soil & water pollution.
How then do we reduce e-waste?
-Reevaluate our decisions about buying a new device.
-Donate or sell your old electronics to extend their life.
-Reuse by replacing the damaged part.
-Clean our smartphone up by deleting applications and emails we don’t need.
Let’s join hands as one family to SAY NO to this act. STOP PLASTIC POLLUTION NOW.
Our environment is dying slowly as a result of our actions. This is the time to save our Earth from going extinct. Climate Change is Real! #PlayYourPart